Hives, also known as urticaria, is a condition that triggers itchy patches of skin that turn into swollen red welts. You may only experience this issue once or twice, or it may develop into a chronic condition. Either way, an allergist can help you determine the root cause of your hives and recommend a lasting treatment to preserve your comfort and health.
What Are Hives?
Hives are a type of skin reaction. They usually appear as red, itchy welts that range in size. You know you are experiencing hives based on the following symptoms:
- Red welts that appear anywhere on the body
- Welts that change in size and shape
- Itching that is often severe
- Painful swelling of the lips, eyelids, and inside of the throat
- Hives that flare with triggers like heat, stress, and exercise